Congratulations to all our rowers for their outstanding achievements on the water this season.
Grace Farrell and Jemma Burrowes will be heading overseas mid-year, having been selected for the New Zealand U19 Women’s Eight to compete at the 2022 World Rowing Under 19 Championships in Varese, Italy, 27 – 31 July. Grace and Jemma join a talented team of rowers racing for New Zealand, taking seats 5 and 6 – considered the engine room of the Eights.
Olivia Studholme, Hannah Wylie and Ashlee Tacon were members of the South Island U18 team that beat their North Island U18 counterparts to win the regatta on points, 75 – 65.
Olivia and Hannah were included in the teams that won the U18 Eight and U18 Four, and Ashlee coxed the girls’ quad that came second in two races.
Our crews competing at the Maadi Cup not only achieved amazing results but continued to grow as rowers and sportswomen.
Here’s a recap of their results:
- U18 coxless pair – Jemma Burrowes and Grace Farrell (Gold)
- U18 coxed four – Jemma Burrowes, Olivia Studholme, Hannah Wylie, Grace Farrell and Ashlee Tacon (Silver)
- U17 coxed eight – Felicity Pye, Olivia Studholme, Charlotte Coughlan, Evie Leeson, India Broomhall, Samantha Lascelles, Hannah Wylie, Phoebe Wilson and Ashlee Tacon (Silver)
- U18 coxed eight – Jemma Burrowes, India Broomhall, Hannah Wylie, Grace Farrell, Charlotte Coughlan, Evie Leeson, Felicity Pye, Olivia Studholme and Ashlee Tacon (Silver)
- U18 novice coxed four – Kara Gooding, Samantha Lascelles, Amelia Timiani-Dean, Ava Readman + Li-Na Chapman (Bronze)
We are grateful to our valued sponsors for their continued support – Farrell Construction, Glendore, Schick Civil Construction, RJ Civil Construction, The Good Oil, Golden Homes Christchurch, Mobil Twizel, Craigs Investment Partners, Team Turner Bayleys, Dynamite Signs, Think Water Canterbury, Storeasy and The Vines Village.
We’re already looking ahead to next season and welcoming girls new to the SMC rowing squad, who will be supported by our experienced and knowledgeable team of staff and coaches as part of SMC’s flourishing rowing programme.